YWCA’s mission pledges to eliminate racism, and empower women, promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
Dismantling structural racism requires long-term commitment and rigorous focus, and we have been on this journey in Miami for decades. As we turn 100 years, we are even more driven to get up and do the work until injustice is rooted out, until institutions are transformed, until the world sees women, girls and people of color the way we do: Equal. Powerful. Unstoppable.
At YWCA South Florida, we address the deepest discrimination happening at the intersection of race and gender. This discrimination shows up every day in the lived experience of women, and people of color, through economic disparities, educational inequities, and limited access to health care.
YWCA Race and Gender Justice Program Framework includes:
21 Day Anti-Racism Challenge
The 21-day challenge is designed to create dedicated time and space to build more effective social justice habits.
Go BEYOND the 21 Day Challenge by exploring new ways to build effective social justice habits.
Learn how you can further engage in our mission to eliminate racism and empower women.
Removing barriers and expanding opportunities for women’s successful workplace participation, entrepreneurial up-scaling, and financial literacy
Childcare In South Florida Courthouses
Providing free, temporary childcare for families attending court proceedings
YWCA is a voice for the most marginalized across South Florida.
When you support YWCA Miami you amplify the voices of people of color, women and girls, and you fulfill our shared mission eliminating racism and empowering women.
To address systemic issues, it takes sustained giving and action to continue working to advocate for our communities of color, build networks of social justice allies, and unite their voices to educate, advocate, and promote racial justice. You can join our YWCA commitment to racial justice by taking these actions now:
- PLEDGE to Stand Against Racism
- ADVOCATE – Sign the petitions for Justice for George Floyd and Justice for Breonna Taylor
- VOTE – Make your voice heard and elect officials that represent your values
- LEARN – Accept the 21-Day Racial Equity and Social Justice Challenge
- AMPLIFY – Voices/stories of POC on Facebook & Instagram @ywcamiami
- DONATE to power our YWCA Race & Gender Justice Framework
To learn more about how you can get involved and support, email Angelica Ramcharran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YWCA Statements on Social Justice
- YWCA USA Opposes the JUSTICE Act (S. 3985) and Urges No Vote on Procedural Motions
- YWCA Joint Statement on the Justice in Policing Act
- Your Partners in Racial Justice: YWCA – 162 years (and counting!)
- YWCA Statement for the Record – to the U.S. House of Representatives Judiciary Committee in support of the Justice in Policing Act of 2020 (H.R.7120/ S.3912)
- YWCA Supports Peaceful Protests Against Police Brutality
- YWCA Statement on the Murder of George Floyd
- YWCA Statement on Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor