The Global Education initiative at YWCA aims to create a space to think critically about the relationship among all diverse people and their cultural awareness. Students in YWCA’s after school and summer camp programs experience Global Education weekly, practicing skills they can use within the context of their future academic and professional pursuits.
Being an informed and engaged member of the global community is important for humans of all ages, so we are introducing the Global Education Moment. Each month, we will share about our Global Education theme and provide
resources and activities to practice.
This month our Global Education initiative focuses on the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) proposed by the United Nations. These goals outline a shared blueprint for the people and the planet, and have been adopted by all 193-member states, include the U.S. Through our discussion of SDGs in our programs, we focus on developing children’s critical thinking and their ability to participate in discussions about issues that affect themselves, their surroundings, and the wider world. After all, these young people are the ones who will lead the world in the future. To accomplish this, they must understand global inequalities and ecological footprint.
The latest SDGs Report in 2022 highlights the need still remaining:
- It would take another 40 years for women and men to be represented equally in global political leadership at the current pace.
- Globally, 5,895 migrants lost their lives in 2021.
- 99% of the world’s urban population breathes polluted air.
- Drought is estimated to displace 700 million people by 2030.
- Anxiety and depression increased by 25% in 2020, particularly among women
and young people.
Besides that, psychological and social-emotional support and global educational matters are frequently overlooked. One way to enhance children’s critical thinking and participation is by promoting their sense of belonging and empowering them to take action on current social matters.
For this reason, we promote activities to help them shape a motivating future for themselves. Through the classes and activities led by the Global Education initiative at YWCA, we teach skills for children to understand and propose future solutions.
Here’s how you can learn more about this at home:
1. Watch these videos:
- The SDG wedding cake explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfOgdj4Okdw
- Sustainable Development Goals for Kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dzFbP2AgFo
2. Play this Interactive activity about climate change: https://climate-box.com/quiz_listing/the-problem-of-climate-change/
3. Take action: Discuss these goals with your family and friends and choose an action from the
link to develop: https://www.globalgoals.org/take-action/?id=4
Learn more about our Global Education Program today!