YWCA South Florida president and CEO recognized with Community Spirit Award
This year marks the 33rd year that the Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces Department hosted the prestigious In the Company of Women awards. On March 11, 2022, the award ceremony was held at Coral Gables Country Club.
The distinctive Community Spirit Award was awarded to YWCA South Florida president and CEO Kerry-Ann Royes. What a fabulous experience for Kerry-Ann and 11 other inspiring women leaders joining the distinguished group of awardees. The recipients include:
- Mayor’s Pioneer Award – Penny S. Shaffer, Ph.D., Market President, South Florida, Florida Blue
- Arts and Entertainment Award – Marjorie Hahn, Musical and Executive Director, South Florida Youth Symphony
- Business and Economics Award – My “Maggie” Vo, CFA, Managing General Partner and Chief Investment Officer, Fuel Venture Capital
- Communications and Literature Award – Nancy Ancrum, Editorial Page Editor, Miami Herald
- Community Spirit Award – Kerry-Ann Royes, President & CEO, YWCA South Florida
- Education and Research Award – Caroline A. Lewis, Founder and Senior Climate Advisor, The Cleo Institute
- Government and Law Award, Elected – Hon. Eileen Higgins, Miami-Dade County Commissioner, District 5
- Government and Law Award, Non-elected – Darlene M. Fernandez, PE, Assistant Director of Traffic Services, Traffic Signals and Signs Division, Miami-Dade County Department of Transportation and Public Works
- Health and Human Services Award – Loreen Chant, President and Chief Executive Officer, Health Foundation of South Florida
- Science and Technology Award – Margaret A. Pericak-Vance, Ph.D., Director, John P. Hussman for Human Genomics and Executive Vice-Chair, Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation, Department of Human Genetics, University of Miami
- Sports and Athletics Award – Caroline O’Connor, Chief Operating Officer, Miami Marlins
- Young Professional Award – Loren Parra, Director of Public Affairs, The Miami Foundation
In a press release announcing the award recipients, Monica Interian, the chair of the Miami-Dade County Commission for Women stated, “The Commission for Women is proud to be involved with the In the Company of Women Awards by honoring the legacies and labor of the women who shape Miami-Dade County. The Awards not only honor women making history but help to support the girls who will be the future of our County.”
Presented in partnership with the Miami-Dade Commission for Women and the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade, the In the Company of Women awards honor women who have excelled professionally and contributed to the community and women’s progress through their leadership and vision.
ABOUT YWCA SOUTH FLORIDA
YWCA South Florida seeks to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. Combining direct service programming and advocacy, YWCA South Florida works across three key areas: racial justice and civil rights; empowerment and economic advancement of women and girls; and health and safety of women and girls. The organization has been at the forefront of some of South Florida’s most significant social issues since it was founded in 1921 and has worked to improve the lives of more than 3.1 million adults and children.
# # #